scrAPES #5 Algae Bloom Off B.C. Coast Leads To Seafood Bans
Published: August 5th 2015
By: Phuong Le
Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08/05/algae-bloom-bc_n_7942170.html?utm_hp_ref=green&ir=Green&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000044
Topic: Pollution
What this article is about is the microscopic algae is up to 40 miles wide and 650 feet deep into the Pacific Ocean. This Algae Bloom now stretches to at least California to Alaska. They found lots of marine toxins in tested crab meat. The scientist/researches believe that the algae bloom is caused by global climate change but there is much more to it than that. The current Algae Bloom is releasing some of the highest concentrations of domoic acid. Domoic acid is very dangerous to people, sea creatures and marine life. It collects anchovies, sardines and other small fish that eat the algae. Marine mammals can get sick from eating the poisoned fish. If people consume the fish it can cause short-term memory loss. State heath officials tell us that the seafood in stores are safe to eat because its always tested. Even though there has been no reports of human illness this year's Algae bloom it doesn't mean that authorities are taking it easy with this matter.
The reason why I chose this article is because I wanted to learn more about the seafood bans. After reading this article I never would of expected the Algae bloom affected the Pacific Ocean. There is fish there that if us people eat we may suffer from a terrible illness due to domoic acid. Even though I love sea food I will be more carefull next time on devouring a fish. I also worry about marine mammals because they can also get sick too if they eat the poisoned fish.
This article is important to Environmental Science because many mammals are being affected by the Algae bloom. One of the most largest oceans in the world is being affected by the Algae Bloom. As it is being spread it's intoxicating more and more of the ocean. If it causes more toxic to the ocean we wont be able to eat sea food or taste fresh water. Water is one of the main reasons of a human need, and if we lose the pacific ocean it will be a lot harder to get food and water. The Pacific Ocean also provides shelter to many animals such as fish and marine mammals.
No comments:
Post a Comment